I suck at making rice.
I can’t buy the big cheap bags of rice and make perfectly fluffy rice. I always screw it up somehow. So I gave up trying and use instant rice instead.
And they lived happily ever after. The end.
So I shared this photo over the weekend of my little puppy Gravy (my dad calls him Gravy Boat), watching me try and get a fair photo of the Cilantro-Lime Rice. He was VERY interested in the rice but he got a puppy treat instead. I'm pretty sure he was just as happy with it.
This is a simple and easy recipe that makes a great side dish for when you have tacos or enchiladas or anything other Mexican meal. It’s also great for a burrito filling too. But the best part is that it’s ready in about 10 minutes!
What I love about this rice is the fresh and vibrant flavor it has from the lime juice and cilantro. I think it’s a great compliment to any spicy dish.
*Makes 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup chicken or veggie broth (water is fine but doesn’t add extra flavor)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- A sauce pot with a tight fitting lid
- In a medium sauce pot bring the broth to a boil. Add rice and turn off burner. Cover tightly and let sit for about 7-8 minutes. A little longer is fine.
- When broth is fully absorbed, fluff rice with a fork and add lime zest, lime juice, and up to 2 tablespoons of cilantro. How much cilantro you add will be up to your taste. Start with a smaller about and then season with salt and pepper.