I’ve been sharing a lot of slow cooked shredded meats with you lately. I haven’t really meant to but it just sort of happened. One thing I’ve learned as a food blogger is that two things have to happen in order for a post to come together. The food has to taste good and the pictures have to look good as well. Or in my case, the pictures have to look at least OK.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made something that was great and the pictures were awful, or the pictures were pretty good but the dish fell short of expectations.
I made this sandwich months ago….maybe even almost a year now. For whatever reason, it kept getting pushed down the list of recipes I want to share. It’s not because it’s a bad sandwich – it’s pretty perfect to be honest – but other recipes seemed more interesting.
That and I did lose the recipe for a bit as well. At the time I had it written down on a post it note.
I threw this together in the crock pot one morning in a desperate attempt to not have to cook dinner that night and it turned out so much better than I expected. It was Brent’s idea to add the spicy brown mustard in at the last minute to the BBQ sauce and I threw some shredded cheese on top that I keep on hand. I can’t help it, I see a sandwich and I NEED to put cheese on it.
The picture you see if of my 2nd sandwich that night. I didn’t take a picture of my first because I wasn’t expecting much. So I had to make another sandwich to take a picture. And then I had to eat that sandwich too….
Pulled BBQ Beef Sandwiches Recipe
*Makes 6-8 sandwiches
- 2lb angus beef chuck roast
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Any type of rolls you prefer
- Cheddar cheese, optional
- Combine all ingredients except spicy brown mustard in a slow cooker. Turn roast to coat in mixture. Cook on low for approximately 8 hours or until roast is fork tender and falling apart.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and let cool before shredding with two forks.
- Remove 1 ½ cups of cooking liquid and place in a small sauce pan. Stir in spicy brown mustard and simmer over medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes to thicken. Once thickened, season to taste with salt and pepper. *This will be the BBQ sauce you will top the sandwiches with and can be omitted if you like.
- After roast is shredded toss in as much remaining cooking liquid (not the BBQ sauce) as you prefer. I usually use between ½ cup to a full cup. Just enough to coat it but not drench it.
- Place shredded beef on a roll or bun and spoon BBQ sauce on top. Add cheese if you wish. Serve and enjoy.