I will alternate between her version and mine, which is more traditional. My mother’s is great for a crowd because there is less prep work.
Mom’s Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 2 pounds chicken (4-5 breasts)
- ½ pound of ham, sliced thin
- ½ pound American Cheese, sliced thin
- 1 box Shake ‘n Bake original (SNB)
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
1. Pound each chicken breast until ½ inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add parsley to SNB mixture and coat each breast according to package.
3. In a medium size casserole dish, lay first layer of chicken breast down. Depending on size about 2 breasts.
4. Next place half of the ham in a layer on top of the chicken. Then layer all of the American cheese and top with remaining ham.
5. Finish the layering process with the rest of the chicken breast. Sprinkle any remaining SNB on top. (This will give you extra crunch and will cover any place where the chicken doesn’t cover .)
6. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Remove cover and bank for an additional 35-45 minutes or until chicken is white and juices run clear.