Speaking of washing floors, can I digress for a moment? I like to keep a fairly clean house, which was not impossible with two cats, a dog, Brent and me. But ever since we got Gravy it’s been a nonstop battle to keep them clean. Who knew one little 5lb dog would cause so much more dirt?
Anyway, back to business. So I have a small confession. I have a strong affinity for those taquitos you can find at gas stations. Yes, I know they are so very terrible for you but they are just so friggin’ tasty. This recipe is a home version of those taquitos.
Supreme Breakfast Taquitos
- 6 flour tortillas
- 4 eggs
- splash of milk or heavy cream
- ¼ cup bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup bean dip or refried beans
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- vegetable oil for frying, roughly 1/3 cup
- S&P to taste
1. Add butter, peppers, and onions to a small sauté pan and sauté over medium high heat for roughly 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add eggs and milk to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Once peppers and onions are fragrant and translucent adds eggs to pan and scramble until eggs are cooked thoroughly, adding bacon halfway through the process. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Prep your taquitos: lay each tortilla out and in the center spread a small amount of bean dip, next add some scrambled eggs mixture, and then top with a small bit of cheese. Roll tightly and set aside seam side down.
4. In a medium sauté pan add vegetable oil to pan. You want it to completely coat the bottom of the pan. Heat oil over medium high heat.
5. Once oil is hot (it should start to ripple) add taquitos seam side down. Cook for approx once minute or until tortilla has browned and then flip carefully to the other side. Cook one more minute and then transfer to a paper towel to blot off excess oil. Continue until all taquitos are done. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream if desired.